Yard Ramps | Las Vegas
Raymond West supplies high quality yard ramps for warehouse and industrial use.
We are backed by one of the largest service and parts operations in the state.
Call us today at (800) 675-2500
What is a Yard Ramp?
A yard ramp is basically a moveable loading dock. It's a ramp that can be adjoined to the opening of a freight container, semi trailer or railroad car to facilitate access by lift trucks or pallet trucks.
Yard ramps serve two main purposes and have a couple of specific types:
- Mobile Yard Ramps: For facilities without a loading dock, they enable lift truck access to semi trailers and shipping containers for loading and unloading. Mobile ramps can be used at a permanent location or a temporary job site. Ramps can be readily repositioned and the height can be changed to fluctuating vehicle levels.
- Stationary Yard Ramps: For buildings that include a loading dock, a yard ramp can enable forklifts and other vehicles to move from dock height down to ground height and vice versa. Since this style of ramp doesn’t need to be moved often, it typically doesn’t come equipped with the positioning features supplied with a portable ramp.
Yard Ramp Configuration
Yard ramps are typically made of steel, although there are also lightweight aluminum options available. The length of a yard ramp varies by type, but they are generally about 30-40 feet long. Ramps designed for lift truck traffic have a "level off" length at the top of the incline so that forklifts are able to move about.
Mobile yard ramps are generally outfitted with solid pneumatic tires so they can be easily relocated. Ramps can be rotated with a fork truck using a positioning sleeve mounted on the bottom end of the ramp. The angle of the ramp can be modified with a hydraulic unit.
Ramp surfaces vary, but are commonly constructed of steel grating or diamond plate. Side rails prevent lift trucks or other vehicles from rolling over the edge. At the elevated end of the ramp there is a lip designed to overlap the trailer floor or loading dock edge.
Yard Ramp Applications
As mentioned, yard ramps can either facilitate cargo flow to and from truck height, or allow vehicles to move on and off of a loading dock. That can be beneficial in a number of circumstances:
- Building Access For Vehicles: Yard ramps can permit forklifts to travel freely in facilities that have both a plant or warehouse and a storage yard. They can also allow other vehicles like pickup trucks or vans to enter a building for loading, maintenance or other purposes. If your facility requires routine travel from ground to dock, stationary ramps are an excellent choice.
- Material Storage Yards: Yard ramps are often used in material storage yards where it is not possible to install a loading dock.
- Equipment Relocation: Another common application is for moving heavy equipment, whether it's for construction, oil & gas, forestry, mining or other industrial segments that utilize large equipment.
- Work Sites: Yard ramps are often used at construction job sites to deliver materials, but there are many other remote job site situations where ramps may be put to use: military supplies and equipment, agricultural totes, outdoor concerts and events, etc.
- Dock Expansion: If a warehouse does not have enough loading dock slots available, whether because of volume peaks or unexpected demand, yard ramps can quickly increase capacity on a temporary basis without construction.
Yard Ramps Near Me
For yard ramp questions, sales or rentals, contact a material handling expert at Raymond West today. We have a vast array of options for almost any application.
Raymond West's Las Vegas facility serves all of the Las Vegas Valley, including Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Summerlin, Paradise, Spring Valley, Sunrise Manor, Enterprise, Winchester, Whitney and all surrounding areas.
Raymond West | Las Vegas Material Handling Equipment Supplier
2555 E Washburn Rd
North Las Vegas, NV 89081