Pick To Light Solutions | Long Beach
Raymond West is a Long Beach warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (562) 444-1222.
Enterprises that run large warehouse and distribution operations are constantly on the lookout for innovations that can increase performance and lower costs. These businesses generally carry out thousands of order picks per hour, and solutions that provide higher pick precision can result in significant expense reductions and enhanced customer satisfaction.
Over the last few years, many new picking innovations have entered the market. Among them, "pick-to-light" technology is distinct for its ability to dramatically increase warehouse performance while almost doing away with pick mistakes.
How Pick to Light Works
Workers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded adaptation of a specific customer order. Based upon the shipment, the system will require an operator to pick a product from a specific bin.
Normal pick-to-light systems employ lights mounted above the racks or bins in order picking zones. Based on each order, a light will illuminate with an item count to select. Pickers choose the item or items for the request, and press the illuminated button to confirm that the selection has actually been carried out. When no more lamps illuminate, it advises the picker that the request is finished.
Light Pick Benefits
Storage facilities that execute pick-to-light systems can typically fulfill more than 450 picks per hour, per picker. This represents an almost tenfold improvement over warehouse pickers utilizing paper based processes. Here are a number of other reasons warehouse managers may want to seriously consider the technology:
- 30-50% increases in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% precision rates
- Decreased order cycle times
- Improved throughput
- Lessened employee training time
- Superior customer service
- Reduced operational costs through decreased labor, errors, rework or chargebacks
- Predictable picking processes
- Lowered costs through the elimination of paper picking lists
- A smart pick process with visibility into daily KPIs
Pick to Light Hardware
While there are many Pick-to-Light suppliers with diverse solutions, almost all systems include the following parts:
- Illuminated Signaling Lamps. This is how the system interacts with the user. Light devices have an LED to indicate the specific location of the item and a quantity display so the user knows the number of products to select. Generally there is a verification button on the module that the operator pushes when a pick has actually been executed. Some light modules have bypass functions that allow pickers to increase or decrease selection quantities manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric displays are positioned at each rack bay or pick zone. They signify order numbers, handling instructions and other pertinent details.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. A lot of pick-to-light installations use a bus system that gets installed to each rack face. These buses supply electricity and data to lamps and screens. Each bus has an independent power and information feed, meaning that the malfunction of one bus doesn't crash the whole system. Lights can be quickly arranged at any point along the bus, so when SKU locations are revised the system can be reconfigured effortlessly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants in Long Beach
For more information on how you can implement a pick-to-light system in your warehouse or distribution center, call a Raymond West consultant today.
Long Beach Service Area:
Long Beach, North Long Beach, Wilmington, San Pedro, Lomita, Torrance
Phone: (562) 444-1222
You May Also Like:
Automated Guided Vehicles | Long Beach
We offer sales, repair, and service for all types of AGVs. Raymond West is a full-service Long Beach warehouse automation equipment supplier.
Conveyor Repair | Long Beach
Raymond West is a Long Beach warehouse automation equipment supplier. We offer repair and service for many types of conveyor systems. Call us today at (562) 444-1222.
Conveyors can greatly improve the efficiency and productivity of your warehouse while reducing labor costs.
Order Picking Systems | Long Beach
We design, install and maintain state-of-the-art order picking solutions for all types of warehouse and distribution center operators.