Pick To Light Solutions | Portland, OR
Raymond West is a Portland warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (800) 675-2500.
Companies that run sophisticated warehouse and distribution operations are often on the lookout for technologies that can boost productivity and reduce expenses. These organizations usually perform thousands of order selections per hour, and systems that provide greater pick precision can deliver significant cost reductions and enhanced client satisfaction.
Over the last few years, several new order picking innovations have been introduced to the marketplace. Among them, "pick-to-light" technology stands out for its potential to drastically increase warehouse productivity while nearly doing away with pick errors.
How Pick to Light Works
Workers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded version of a specific customer order. Based upon the order, the system will instruct an operator to choose a product from a specific bin.
Basic pick-to-light systems use lights installed above the racks or bins in order picking zones. Based upon each order, a light will illuminate with an item count to pick. Pickers select the item or items for the shipment, and push the illuminated button to validate that the pick has actually been completed. When no more lamps light up, it communicates to the order picker that the request is finished.
Light Pick Benefits
Warehouses that implement pick-to-light systems can often fulfill more than 450 picks per hour, per picker. This represents a nearly tenfold gain over warehouse pickers using paper based systems. Here are a few other reasons warehouse managers may want to seriously consider the technology:
- 30-50% increases in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% precision rates
- Lowered order cycle times
- Enhanced throughput
- Minimized employee training time
- Superior customer service
- Reduced operational expenses through minimized labor, mistakes, rework or chargebacks
- Predictable picking procedure
- Reduced costs through the removal of paper picking lists
- A smart pick procedure with visibility into daily metrics
Pick to Light Hardware
Although there are numerous Pick-to-Light suppliers with differing solutions, the majority of systems involve the following elements:
- Illuminated Signaling Lamps. This is how the system interacts with the operator. Light devices have an LED to indicate the specific location of the item and an item count display so the operator knows the number of products to select. Typically there is a confirmation button on the device that the operator presses when a selection has actually been executed. Some light devices have override functions that permit pickers to increase or reduce pick amounts manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric displays are placed at each rack bay or pick zone. They indicate order numbers, handling directions and other essential details.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. The majority of pick-to-light setups utilize a bus system that gets installed to each rack face. These buses supply electricity and digital information to lamps and display screens. Each bus has an independent electrical and information feed, guaranteeing that the malfunction of one bus doesn't crash the entire system. Lights can be quickly placed at any point along the bus, so when SKU locations are reorganized the system can be reconfigured easily.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants Near Me
For more information on how you can introduce a pick-to-light system in your warehouse or distribution center, contact a Raymond West specialist today.
Raymond's Portland service operation includes all of Western Oregon and Southwest Washington, including Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Hillsboro, Forest Grove, Sherwood, Tualatin, Wilsonville, Oregon City, Gladstone, Clackamas, Milwaukie, Happy Valley, Gresham, Troutdale, Woodburn, Salem, Vancouver, Ridgefield, Longview, Kelso and surrounding areas.
Raymond West | Portland Material Handling Equipment Supplier
3148 NE 181st Ave
Portland, OR 97230