Pick To Light Solutions | Tucson
Raymond West is a Tucson warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (520) 729-4222.
Enterprises that run complex warehouse and distribution operations are often on the lookout for innovations that can enhance efficiency and minimize expenses. These organizations typically carry out thousands of pick selections per hour, and technologies that allow greater pick precision can result in considerable cost decreases and improved client satisfaction.
In the last few years, many new order picking innovations have been added to the market. Amongst them, "pick-to-light" technology stands out for its ability to drastically increase warehouse performance while almost eradicating pick mistakes.
How Pick to Light Works
Workers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded representation of an individual client order. Based upon the order, the system will require an operator to pick a product from a specific bin.
Normal pick-to-light systems use lights mounted above the racks or bins in picking zones. Based on each order, a light will appear with a number of items to select. Pickers choose the item or items for the order, and push the illuminated button to confirm that the pick has been executed. When no additional lamps light up, it signals the order picker that the shipment is done.
Light Pick Benefits
Storage facilities that carry out pick-to-light systems can typically fulfill more than 450 selections per hour, per picker. This equates to a nearly tenfold increase over warehouse pickers utilizing paper based systems. Here are some other reasons warehouse operators may wish to carefully consider the technology:
- 30-50% increases in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% precision rates
- Reduced order cycle times
- Improved throughput
- Lessened worker training time
- Better customer service
- Reduced operational expenditures through decreased labor, errors, rework or chargebacks
- Predictable picking procedure
- Lowered costs through the elimination of paper picking lists
- An intelligent pick process with visibility into daily metrics
Pick to Light Hardware
While there are many Pick-to-Light suppliers with varying solutions, many systems involve the following components:
- Light Signaling Devices. This is how the system communicates with the operator. Light devices have an LED to signal the location of the product and a quantity display so the user knows how many products to pick. Normally there is a verification button on the module that the operator pushes when a selection has actually been finalized. Some light modules have bypass functions that allow pickers to increase or reduce pick amounts manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric screens are positioned at each rack bay or pick zone. They signify order numbers, handling instructions and other essential information.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. A lot of pick-to-light installations use a bus system that gets installed to each rack face. These buses provide power and data to lamps and screens. Each bus has an independent energy and data feed, guaranteeing that the failure of a single bus does not crash the whole system. Lights can be easily placed anywhere along the bus, so when SKU placements are reorganized the system can be reconfigured quickly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants in Tucson
To find out more on how you can incorporate a pick-to-light system in your warehouse or distribution center, get in touch with a Raymond West Inc expert today.
Raymond West Inc
Tucson Service Area:
Tucson, Oro Valley, Marana, Sahuarita, South Tucson, Green Valley