Pick To Light Solutions | Fresno, CA
Raymond West is a Fresno warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (559) 264-7500.
Enterprises that run large warehouse and distribution operations are often on the lookout for technologies that can increase efficiency and minimize expenses. These companies typically carry out thousands of pick selections per hour, and systems that offer higher pick precision can result in substantial cost reductions and enhanced customer satisfaction.
Recently, many new picking technologies have been introduced to the marketplace. Among them, "pick-to-light" technology is distinct for its ability to significantly increase warehouse efficiency while almost eradicating pick errors.
How Pick to Light Works
Workers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded representation of a specific customer order. Based upon the order, the system will command an operator to select an item from a specific bin.
Normal pick-to-light systems utilize lights mounted above the racks or bins in picking zones. Based upon each order, a light will illuminate with a quantity to select. Pickers choose the item or items for the request, and press the illuminated button to verify that the selection has been executed. When no additional lights light up, it signals the order picker that the request is complete.
Light Pick Benefits
Storage facilities that execute pick-to-light systems can frequently achieve more than 450 picks per hour, per picker. This represents a nearly tenfold improvement over warehouse pickers utilizing paper based methods. Here are a number of other reasons warehouse operators might want to seriously consider the technology:
- 30-50% increases in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% accuracy rates
- Reduced order cycle times
- Enhanced throughput
- Abbreviated employee training time
- Superior customer satisfaction
- Reduced operating costs through decreased labor, mistakes, rework or returns
- Predictable picking processes
- Decreased costs through the removal of paper picking lists
- A smart pick process with visibility into daily metrics
Pick to Light Hardware
Although there are countless Pick-to-Light suppliers with diverse solutions, many systems include the following elements:
- Illuminated Signaling Lamps. This is how the system communicates with the operator. Light devices have an LED to signal the slot of the product and an item count display so the user understands the number of units to select. Normally there is a verification button on the device that the operator pushes when a selection has been completed. Some light devices have override functions that enable pickers to increase or reduce pick quantities manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric screens are positioned at each rack bay or pick zone. They signal order numbers, handling guidelines and other important details.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. A lot of pick-to-light setups use a bus system that mounts to each rack face. These buses provide power and data to lamps and displays. Each bus has an independent power and information feed, meaning that the failure of one bus does not crash the whole system. Lights can be easily arranged at any point along the bus, so when SKU locations are revised the system can be reconfigured effortlessly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants Near Me
To find out more on how you can incorporate a pick-to-light system in your warehouse or distribution center, contact a Raymond West consultant today.
Raymond West's Fresno facility serves much of the Central Valley, including Fresno, Clovis, Madera, Visalia, Tulare, Lindsay, Hanford, Lemoore, Los Banos, Santa Nella, Dos Palos, Firebaugh, Kettleman City, Coalinga, Avenal, Mendota, Kerman, San Joaquin, and all surrounding areas.
2935 S Elm Ave #101
Fresno, CA 93706