Pick To Light Solutions | Los Angeles
Raymond West is a Los Angeles warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (562) 944-8067.
Enterprises that run large warehouse and distribution operations are always on the lookout for technologies that can enhance performance and lower expenses. These companies normally carry out thousands of order selections per hour, and technologies that allow greater pick accuracy can result in considerable cost reductions and improved customer satisfaction.
Recently, several new picking innovations have been introduced to the marketplace. Among them, "pick-to-light" technology stands apart for its ability to drastically increase warehouse performance while almost eliminating pick mistakes.
How Pick to Light Works
Workers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded version of an individual customer order. Based upon the shipment, the system will require an operator to choose an item from a specific bin.
Normal pick-to-light systems use lights mounted above the racks or bins in order picking zones. Based upon each order, a light will appear with an item count to select. Pickers select the item or items for the request, and push the lighted button to validate that the pick has been executed. When no more lamps illuminate, it advises the picker that the shipment is finished.
Light Pick Benefits
Warehouses that execute pick-to-light systems can typically achieve more than 450 selections per hour, per picker. This represents a nearly tenfold increase over warehouse pickers using paper based methods. Here are some other reasons warehouse operators may wish to carefully consider the technology:
- 30-50% increases in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% precision rates
- Reduced order cycle times
- Greater throughput
- Lessened employee training time
- Better customer satisfaction
- Reduced operational expenses through lowered labor, mistakes, rework or chargebacks
- Predictable picking procedure
- Lowered costs through the elimination of paper picking lists
- A smart pick process with visibility into daily metrics
Pick to Light Hardware
While there are many Pick-to-Light suppliers with differing solutions, the majority of systems incorporate the following components:
- Light Signaling Lamps. This is how the system interacts with the operator. Light devices have an LED to signify the location of the item and a quantity display so the operator understands the number of units to select. Typically there is a verification button on the device that the operator presses when a selection has been completed. Some light modules have bypass functions that allow pickers to increase or decrease pick amounts manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric screens are positioned at each rack bay or pick zone. They signal order numbers, handling guidelines and other pertinent information.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. Many pick-to-light setups utilize a bus system that mounts to each rack face. These buses supply power and digital information to lamps and screens. Each bus has an independent energy and data feed, guaranteeing that the malfunction of one bus does not crash the entire system. Lights can be quickly arranged at any point along the bus, so when SKU locations are revised the system can be reconfigured effortlessly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants in Los Angeles
For more details on how you can incorporate a pick-to-light system in your warehouse or distribution center, call a Raymond West specialist today.
9939 Norwalk Blvd
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670