Pick To Light Solutions | Nogales
Raymond West is a Nogales warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (520) 281-4125.
Enterprises that run complex warehouse and distribution operations are always on the lookout for technologies that can improve productivity and lower costs. These companies generally perform thousands of pick selections per hour, and systems that provide higher pick accuracy can generate considerable cost reductions and enhanced customer satisfaction.
Over the last few years, many new order picking innovations have been introduced to the marketplace. Amongst them, "pick-to-light" technology stands apart for its potential to considerably increase warehouse performance while almost doing away with pick errors.
How Pick to Light Works
Order pickers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded adaptation of a specific customer order. Based on the shipment, the system will require an operator to pick an item from a certain bin.
Basic pick-to-light systems employ lights mounted above the racks or bins in picking areas. Based upon each order, a light will appear with an item count to pick. Pickers select the item or items for the shipment, and press the illuminated button to confirm that the selection has actually been completed. When no additional lamps light up, it advises the picker that the order is done.
Light Pick Benefits
Warehouses that implement pick-to-light systems can typically fulfill more than 450 picks per hour, per picker. This equates to a nearly tenfold increase over warehouse pickers using paper based systems. Here are a number of other reasons warehouse operators might wish to carefully consider the technology:
- 30-50% increases in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% accuracy rates
- Reduced order cycle times
- Greater throughput
- Reduced employee training time
- Superior customer experience
- Reduced operational expenditures through reduced labor, mistakes, rework or returns
- Predictable picking processes
- Minimized costs through the removal of paper picking lists
- A smart pick procedure with visibility into day-to-day metrics
Pick to Light Hardware
Although there are numerous Pick-to-Light vendors with diverse solutions, the majority of systems involve the following elements:
- Illuminated Signaling Lamps. This is how the system communicates with the user. Light devices have an LED to signal the location of the item and a quantity display so the user knows how many products to pick. Normally there is a verification button on the device that the operator presses when a pick has been finalized. Some light modules have override functions that enable pickers to increase or decrease pick amounts manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric screens are positioned at each rack bay or pick zone. They signify order numbers, handling guidelines and other important details.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. Many pick-to-light installations use a bus system that affixes to each rack face. These buses supply power and data to lights and displays. Each bus has an independent electrical and data feed, ensuring that the failure of an individual bus doesn't impede the whole system. Lights can be easily situated at any point along the bus, so when SKU placements are modified the system can be reconfigured easily.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants in Nogales
For more information on how you can incorporate a pick-to-light program in your warehouse or distribution center, call a Raymond West Inc specialist today.
Raymond West Inc
2725-B North Grand Ave
Nogales, AZ 85621