Pick To Light Solutions | Phoenix
Raymond West is a Phoenix warehouse automation consultant. We design, install and maintain order picking solutions.
Call us today at (602) 275-2228.
Enterprises that run sophisticated warehouse and distribution operations are often on the lookout for technologies that can improve efficiency and decrease costs. These companies normally perform thousands of pick selections per hour, and solutions that allow higher pick precision can deliver substantial cost decreases and enhanced customer satisfaction.
Over the last few years, several new picking innovations have entered the market. Amongst them, "pick-to-light" technology is distinct for its capacity to dramatically increase warehouse efficiency while almost eradicating pick mistakes.
How Pick to Light Works
Workers scan a barcode on a tote or picking container which is an encoded adaptation of a specific client order. Based on the shipment, the system will instruct an operator to choose a product from a certain bin.
Basic pick-to-light systems utilize lights installed above the racks or bins in order picking areas. Based on each order, a light will illuminate with a number of items to select. Pickers choose the item or items for the shipment, and press the illuminated button to confirm that the selection has been completed. When no more lights light up, it signals the picker that the request is complete.
Light Pick Benefits
Storage facilities that implement pick-to-light systems can typically achieve more than 450 selections per hour, per picker. This means a nearly tenfold gain over warehouse pickers using paper based methods. Here are some other reasons warehouse operators may wish to seriously consider the technology:
- 30-50% increases in pick rate productivity
- 99.9+% precision rates
- Lowered order cycle times
- Greater throughput
- Shortened employee training time
- Better customer experience
- Reduced operating costs through reduced labor, errors, rework or chargebacks
- Consistent picking processes
- Decreased costs through the elimination of paper picking lists
- A smart pick procedure with visibility into daily KPIs
Pick to Light Hardware
Although there are many Pick-to-Light suppliers with diverse solutions, the majority of systems involve the following elements:
- Light Signaling Devices. This is how the system interacts with the user. Light devices have an LED to signal the location of the item and a quantity display so the user knows the number of products to pick. Generally there is a confirmation button on the device that the operator presses when a selection has been executed. Some light devices have override functions that permit pickers to increase or reduce selection quantities manually.
- Bay Displays. These alphanumeric screens are placed at each rack bay or pick zone. They indicate order numbers, handling directions and other important information.
- Bus/ Duct Substrate. Most pick-to-light installations utilize a bus system that gets installed to each rack face. These buses provide electricity and digital information to lights and display screens. Each bus has an independent electrical and information feed, guaranteeing that the failure of a single bus doesn't bring down the entire system. Lights can be easily placed anywhere along the bus, so when SKU positions are reorganized the system can be reconfigured quickly.
Warehouse Picking Automation Consultants in Phoenix
To find out more on how you can implement a pick-to-light solution in your warehouse or distribution center, get in touch with a Raymond West Inc expert today.
Raymond West Inc
2659 E Magnolia St
Phoenix, AZ 85034
You May Also Like:
Conveyor Repair | Phoenix
Raymond West is a Phoenix warehouse automation equipment supplier. We offer repair and service for many types of conveyor systems. Call us today at (602) 275-2228.
Conveyors can greatly improve the efficiency and productivity of your warehouse while reducing labor costs.
Order Picking Systems | Phoenix
We design, install and maintain state-of-the-art order picking solutions for all types of warehouse and distribution center operators.
We supply a full range of warehouse automation equipment including pallet shuttle systems. If you'd like to find out more about automation possibilities for your warehouse, give us a call today.