Yard Ramps | Portland
Raymond West supplies high quality yard ramps for warehouse and industrial use.
We are backed by one of the largest service and parts operations in the state.
Call us today at (800) 675-2500
What is a Yard Ramp?
A yard ramp is basically a mobile loading dock. This style of ramp can be adjoined to the opening of a shipping container, trailer or railroad car to allow access by forklifts or pallet trucks.
Yard ramps serve two primary roles and have two distinct types:
- Mobile Yard Ramps: For locations that don’t have a loading dock, they permit lift truck access to trailers and cargo containers for loading and unloading. This can be at a permanent place of business or a short term job site. Ramps can be readily moved and the height can be adjusted to fluctuating vehicle levels.
- Stationary Yard Ramps: For buildings that include a loading dock, stationary yard ramps can enable lift trucks and other equipment to move from dock level down to ground level and vice versa. Since this style of ramp doesn’t need to be relocated on a regular basis, it typically doesn’t have the positioning features supplied with a portable ramp.
Yard Ramp Configuration
Yard ramps are primarily steel construction, however there are also lightweight aluminum styles on the market. The length of a yard ramp varies by type, but they are quite often in the 30'-40' range. Ramps designed for lift truck traffic have a "level off" length at the top of the incline so that forklifts have some space to maneuver.
Mobile yard ramps are typically equipped with solid pneumatic tires so they can be easily relocated. Ramps can be moved with a fork truck using a positioning sleeve affixed to the low side of the ramp. The height of the ramp can be modified with a hydraulic pump.
Ramp surfaces vary, but are frequently constructed of steel diamond plate or grating. Side rails impede forklifts or other vehicles from going off the edge. At the elevated end of the ramp there is a lip meant to overlap the trailer deck or loading dock edge.
Yard Ramp Applications
As mentioned, yard ramps can either facilitate cargo flow to and from truck height, or allow vehicles to travel on and off of a loading dock. That can be useful in many different situations:
- Building Access For Vehicles: Yard ramps can enable lift trucks to move without restriction in facilities that have both a warehouse or production plant and an outside storage yard. In addition, they can enable other vehicles like pickup trucks or vans to drive into a facility for loading and unloading or maintenance. For buildings that require frequent travel from ground to dock, there are also stationary ramp options that can be installed.
- Material Storage Yards: Yard ramps are often used in industrial storage yards where no loading docks can be built.
- Equipment Relocation: Moving heavy equipment is another popular application, whether it's for oil & gas, construction, forestry, mining or other businesses that use heavy equipment.
- Work Sites: Although construction job sites are one of the most common uses for mobile yard ramps, there are many other remote job site situations where they may be put to use: loading agricultural totes, military equipment and supplies, outdoor events and concerts, etc.
- Dock Expansion: When a warehouse does not have enough loading dock slots available, whether because of volume peaks or seasonal demand, yard ramps can help increase capacity on a temporary basis without construction.
Yard Ramps Near Me
If you have question about yard ramps or need to discuss sales or rentals, get in touch with a material handling professional at Raymond West today. We have a wide array of options for almost any application.
Raymond's Portland service operation includes all of Western Oregon and Southwest Washington, including Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Hillsboro, Forest Grove, Sherwood, Tualatin, Wilsonville, Oregon City, Gladstone, Clackamas, Milwaukie, Happy Valley, Gresham, Troutdale, Woodburn, Salem, Vancouver, Ridgefield, Longview, Kelso and surrounding areas.
Raymond West | Portland Material Handling Equipment Supplier
3148 NE 181st Ave
Portland, OR 97230