Yard Ramps | Los Angeles
Raymond West supplies high quality yard ramps for warehouse and industrial use.
We are backed by one of the largest service and parts operations in the state.
Call us today at (800) 675-2500
What is a Yard Ramp?
A yard ramp is the equivalent of a transportable loading dock. It's a ramp that can be adjoined to the opening of a freight container, trailer or railroad car to facilitate access by forklifts or pallet trucks.
Yard ramps have two primary functions and have two distinct types:
- Mobile Yard Ramps: For facilities lacking a loading dock, they allow forklift access to semi trailers and cargo containers for loading and unloading. This can be at a permanent location or a temporary job site. Ramps can be readily relocated and the height can be adjusted to different vehicle levels.
- Stationary Yard Ramps: For buildings that have a loading dock, stationary yard ramps can allow lift trucks and other vehicles to travel from dock level down to ground level and vice versa. Because this style of ramp doesn’t need to be moved on a regular basis, it generally doesn’t possess the positioning features included with a portable ramp.
Yard Ramp Configuration
Yard ramps are primarily made of steel, although there are also lightweight aluminum options available. The length of a yard ramp varies by application, but they are usually in the 30'-40' range. Ramps designed for lift truck traffic have a "level off" segment at the top of the incline so that forklifts can more easily maneuver.
Portable yard ramps are typically equipped with solid pneumatic tires so they can be easily reoriented. Ramps can be rotated with a fork truck using a positioning sleeve attached to the bottom end of the ramp. The height of the ramp is modified with a hydraulic pump.
Ramp decking varies, but is often constructed of steel diamond plate or grating. Rails along the sides prevent lift trucks or other equipment from going over the edge. At the elevated end of the ramp there is a lip meant to overlap the trailer deck or loading dock edge.
Yard Ramp Applications
As stated, yard ramps can either allow retrieval of freight or goods from truck height, or allow equipment to travel on and off of a loading dock. That can be advantageous in many different situations:
- Vehicle Access To Buildings: Yard ramps can allow lift trucks to move without restriction on properties that have both a plant or warehouse and a storage yard. In addition, they can enable other vehicles like pickup trucks or vans to enter a building for loading and unloading or maintenance. For buildings that require routine movement from dock to ground, there are also stationary ramp options that can be installed.
- Material Storage Yards: A very common use of yard ramps is in industrial storage yards where it is not possible to install a loading dock.
- Equipment Relocation: Another common application is for moving heavy equipment, whether it's for construction, oil & gas, forestry, mining or other industrial segments that use large equipment.
- Work Sites: While yard ramps are common in the construction industry, there are many other remote job site situations where ramps may be employed: loading agricultural totes, military equipment and supplies, outdoor festivals and concerts, etc.
- Dock Expansion: When a facility doesn’t have enough loading dock capacity, whether because of temporary volume spikes or unexpected demand, yard ramps can help increase capacity on a temporary basis without construction.
Yard Ramps Near Me
For yard ramp questions, sales or rentals, talk to a material handling expert at Raymond West today. We have a wide range of options for nearly any application.
Raymond West's Los Angeles facility serves much of Los Angeles County, including Santa Fe Springs, Whittier, La Mirada, Downey, Pico Rivera, Los Angeles, Montebello, El Monte, Rosemead, Alhambra, South Gate, Lynwood, Compton, Westmont, Gardena, Torrance, Carson, San Pedro, La Habra, City of Industry, Walnut, Inglewood, Hawthorne and all surrounding areas.
Raymond West | Los Angeles Material Handling Equipment Supplier
9939 Norwalk Blvd
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670