Yard Ramps | Reno / Sparks
Raymond West supplies high quality yard ramps for warehouse and industrial use.
We are backed by one of the largest service and parts operations in the state.
Call us today at (800) 675-2500
What is a Yard Ramp?
A yard ramp is basically a transportable loading dock. This style of ramp can be pushed up to the opening of a cargo container, semi trailer or railroad car to facilitate access by forklifts or pallet trucks.
Yard ramps have two primary roles and have two different styles:
- Mobile Yard Ramps: For buildings lacking a loading dock, they permit lift truck access to trailers and cargo containers for loading and unloading. This can be at a fixed location or a temporary job site. Ramps can be easily repositioned and the height can be adapted to different vehicle heights.
- Stationary Yard Ramps: For locations that include a loading dock, stationary yard ramps can allow forklifts and other vehicles to move from dock level down to ground height and vice versa. Since this style of ramp doesn’t need to be moved on a regular basis, it generally doesn’t possess the positioning equipment included with a portable ramp.
Yard Ramp Configuration
Yard ramps are most often steel construction, however there are also lighter weight aluminum styles available. Yard ramp lengths vary by application, but they are quite often in the 30'-40' range. Ramps designed for lift truck traffic have a "level off" length at the top of the incline so that forklifts can more easily maneuver.
Mobile yard ramps are frequently equipped with solid pneumatic tires so they can be easily positioned. Ramps can be moved with a fork truck using a positioning sleeve attached to the low side of the ramp. The height of the ramp is adjusted with a hydraulic unit.
Ramp decking varies, but is often made of steel diamond plate or grating. Side rails impede forklifts or other equipment from going over the edge. At the elevated end of the ramp there is a lip meant to extend over the trailer floor or loading dock edge.
Yard Ramp Applications
As outlined, yard ramps can either enable cargo flow to and from truck height, or allow vehicles to move on and off of a loading dock. That can be beneficial in many different situations:
- Building Access For Vehicles: Yard ramps can permit forklifts to travel without restriction on properties that have both a warehouse or production plant and an outside storage yard. In addition, they can enable other vehicles like pickup trucks or vans to enter a building for loading, maintenance or other purposes. For buildings that require frequent travel from ground to dock, there are also stationary ramp options that can be installed.
- Industrial Storage Yards: A very common use of yard ramps is in material storage yards where it is not possible to install a loading dock.
- Equipment Movement: Another common application is for moving heavy equipment, whether it's for construction, oil & gas, mining, forestry or other businesses that utilize heavy equipment.
- Work Sites: While yard ramps are common in the construction industry, there are many other remote work site situations where they may be put to use: loading agricultural totes, military equipment and supplies, outdoor festivals and concerts, etc.
- Dock Expansion: When a plant or warehouse does not have enough loading dock slots available, whether because of temporary volume spikes or unexpected demand, yard ramps can help increase capacity on a temporary basis without construction.
Yard Ramps Near Me
For yard ramp questions, sales or rentals, get in touch with a material handling professional at Raymond West today. We have a wide range of options for almost any application.
Raymond's Reno / Sparks service operation includes all of Western Nevada, including Reno, Sparks, Carson City, Minden, Gardnerville, Incline Village, Virginia City, Indian Hills, Johnson Lane, Fernley, Fallon, Dayton, Silver Springs, Spanish Springs, Yerington, Genoa and Zephyr Cove.
Raymond West | Reno / Sparks Material Handling Equipment Supplier
1315 Greg Street, Suite 112
Sparks, NV 89431-6091